Friday, April 30, 2010

Post 5: Compare 2 online articles

UW Madison to End Nike licensing relationship vs. Purdue: Nike did not violate licensing agreement

Summary: A factory that makes collegiate apparel for Nike closed down and did not pay it's workers the 2 billion + that it owed them in severances. Purdue argues that it is not Nike's responsibility since they did not own the factories or cause them to shut down. UW students, however, urged Chancellor Martin to sever ties with Nike because they did violate UW's Code of Conduct.
I think that the article from UW is more convincing. We can't shut our eyes to wrong doing, which is essentially what Purdue has done. I had already made up my mind on the issue before I read the articles, so reading them has not changed my mind.
I feel as though many of the classes I have taken while at UW have deeply explored social injustices, such as the mistreatment of factory workers. It is good to see students and academicians putting their beliefs into practice. When I first read about UW severing ties with Nike, it made me very proud to be a Badger.

No comments:

Post a Comment